Tuesday 1 April 2014

Introducing JACQUIE CHAMPION


It is with great pleasure that I introduce to you, the talented Artist, Jacquie Champion. She worked with me on the FOE 13 project. Below is a feature on this talented woman, it was a pleasure to learn more about her. Enjoy.



What is your name and where are you from? 

 My name is Jacquie Champion,  I live on my sail boat Angelique of Vancouver, currently in Vancouver, BC, Canada. 

How long have you been practicing your art? 

I started bead weaving in 2009, the year that we returned back from our sailing adventure to Mexico and the Sea of Cortez.

Is this (beading) the only form of art you do or are there more? 

Bead weaving, bead embroidery is the only art that I create, but I have done other fabric type crafts such as  Knitting, Crochet, Cross Stitch, and sewing.

When did you decide to work in this particular (beading) media? 

While in Mexico, I met a woman on a sail boat living in the La Paz.  She had been living on her boat and sailing the Sea of Cortez for about 20 years and during that time she also was a bead weaving artist, making her creations on the boat.  When I returned from our trip I thought that this was something that I could do that would help me pass the time during the day while my husband went back to work.  Since I retired in 2008 I was looking for a hobby or craft that would be fun to do, something that I could learn and expand my designs.  While in Mexico I learnt my very first Double Helix spiral stitch and I was hooked.  I purchased my first beads at a bead store in La Paz.

How rewarding has it been so far? 

I find that bead weaving and bead embroidery is very rewarding and relaxing.  I have so many ideas and not enough time to create them all.

What is your specialty? (What materials, stitches, techniques etc) do you feel you have mastered so far? 

I don’t think that I have mastered any techniques as I feel that I am still learning everyday and I am inspired by some of the “Masters” in the field, but I have learnt many bead weaving stitches and many bead embroidery techniques that I use in my work.  One of the areas that I still would like to learn is Bead Crochet, Soutache and the latest Shibori Ribbon.

Are you primarily into beading or do you attempt mixed media (using beads with other materials like leather, fabrics or sculptures etc)? 

I use a combination of mixed media in my designs.  I love 3 dimensional work and have created 3 dimensional flowers.

Have you ever participated in any major projects or contests before? 

The only major contest or project that I have participated in are the Battle of the Beadsmith, and FOE, although I regularly participate in the Etsy Beadweavers Monthly challenges, and EBEG Bead Fests and mini bead fests.

How would you describe the experience, generally?  I love the challenge but still feel that I am not quite at the level of experience and design of many of the great artists.

Have you ever received grants and awards before, for your work in this media? 

No

Do you think grants and awards are important in this media

No sure

Is this media your primary vocation, your second job or simply a hobby? 

Since I am retired I would say that it is more of a passion, it keeps my interest, I love to learn new techniques and designs and to expand my artistic ability

If you do sell your work, where can an interested client find your work to buy? And if you don’t sell your work, will you be interested in showing your creation anyway? (share links to sites, blogs, shops etc where you work can be purchased or viewed, or if you are comfortable enough, share contact details of how you can be reached for a client interested in making a purchase).  

I have several on line shops with Etsy, Artfire, a facebook page, twitter account, and pinterest.  I also sell in person at Farmers Markets in Vancouver, BC and during the Christmas season at Craft Fairs throughout the lower mainland

                        http://www.angelquecreations@artfire.com
Twitter                         http://www.twitter.com/angelquecreatio
Blog:                              http://www.angelquecreations.blogspot.com

Why did you agree to participate in the FOE 13 project? 

I am always looking for ways in which to challenge my art and designs and the FOE project sounded like a lot of fun.  To be able to create a project with many other artists is something that I have never done before and thought that it would be great experience for me as a designer

It was, as I said, a great pleasure to learn more about Jackie, I will be sharing with you all photos of some of her amazing creations so do return here shortly and have a look. I can't wait! Have a pleasant day and thanking you all for reading through. See you soon.

2 comments:

  1. Naan, it was such a pleasure and fun to work on the Freedom of Expression project. I cant wait to see the finished work by the many talented artists involved. I look forward to your next project and thanks so much for organizing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a delight and a privilege to have had the chance to work with you all. I am counting the days until the great reveal which will be soon!

    ReplyDelete