Tuesday 12 March 2013

INSPIRATION

I have been thinking a lot lately about how to map out the next step of our project. All  but one contract have been submitted which means I have everyone's location and should be able to assign bits to everyone. The only delay I have considered really is the distance between us and the nature of the project we have at hand. 

I must admit, when I proposed the idea, I didn't thoroughly consider what it would mean to each participant, receiving the work, adding their bit and forwarding it to the next person, I didn't consider that the heavier/bigger the item got, the more it would cost to send it out, and everyone will be allotted the same amount to do their bit.

So while considering how to manage this fairly, I was delighted when Megan (one of our participants) brought my attention to a blog that had successfully carried out a project quite similar to the FOE we are about to carry out. I was super excited to see it, simply because of its beauty and especially because it was not created by only one person but a group of talented people from all over Poland, then put together by the project coordinator.

Seems to me there, our problem is solved!!!

It is delightful to find artists across the globe having a common idea for different projects. This idea was not originally mine. As I had already shared with Megan (who was OK with me sharing this link with the rest of you), I can’t (won't) claim total originality, the idea came to me after I got invited by a group of artists some years back to participate in a collaborative piece, but unlike what we will be doing, what I was invited into was going to be a water colour painting. Unfortunately that project didn't take hold because the originator/sponsor found it too expensive after calculating the cost of mailing from one person to another. Still, the idea of having ONE item created by MANY artist was so inviting that I have harbored the dream of doing something like that, but affordable.

What ‘reminded’ me again to give it a go, was partly the monthly Etsy Bead Weavers' Challenge’s and some talk show I saw on You tube about freedom of expression 2 years ago, so I thought to give it a go. I am excited to see that the idea isn't totally alien after all! This makes me even more excited about ours!

Ours will be worked with beads, so it shall be slightly different from this but it is so encouraging to see that individuality can come together in a common art and speak so loud. I want this to be an encouragement to us for what we are about to embark. And may the freedom of our individual expressions be spoken as loudly.

No comments:

Post a Comment