Friday 4 July 2014

Introducing REGINA JIRON

      Hello People, thank you for stopping by and following the progress of our project. I know you all have been waiting a while now for additional news regarding this project, but guess what? So are we! The project has been completed two months ago but related information has only finally been collected last week, thus the delay. 

    Nonetheless, this means we have the summer to share additional news with you all. Our book on this project is in its final laps of production (thankfully) and will be available shortly, hopefully within the month. However, I haven't had the chance to introduce you all to REGINA JIRON, another one of the project's participant, so find below, an excerpt of my interview with her. Enjoy.
      
      Naan: What is your name and where are you from? (If you have a name you go by as an artist, tell us that as well.)
      Regina: My name is Regina Jiron. I live in Bethesda, MD which is in the Washington Dc metro area. My shopname is BeadJewelryShopgirl.

      Naan:     How long have you been practicing your art? 

      Regina: I started creating jewelry in 2006.

      Naan:  Is this (beading) the only form of art you do or are there more? 

      Regina: I’ve always done some form of craft or art since I can remember but I would consider painting (oil pastels and watercolor), beading and photography as “serious” endeavors.

      Naan: When did you decide to work in this particular (beading) media? 

      Regina: I discovered seed beads and the art of beadweaving also in 2006. 

      Naan: What made you decide to? 

      Regina: What I like most about beadweaving is the feeling of creating something out of nothing, almost. Putting hundreds, maybe thousand pieces into one cohesive whole give me a lot of satisfaction. The fact that others might enjoy the pieces I create also gives me a thrill. 

      Naan: How rewarding has it been so far? 

      Regina: Beadweaving has given me focus and peace. I’ve had some stress in my life lately that I’ve had to put my work on sabbatical but I realize now, it most likely would have help me better handle the stress so I’ve gotten back to it as much as I can now and intend to continue creating new pieces. 

      Naan: What is your specialty? (What materials, stitches, techniques etc) do you feel you have mastered so far? 
     
      Regina: I still consider myself a work in progress! 

      Naan: Are you primarily into beading or do you attempt mixed media (using beads and other materials like leather, fabrics or sculptures etc? 

      Reigna: With me, it’s all about the beads. I started with creating jewelry pieces, but lately I’m publishing bead patterns so that other beaders can enjoy my designs. I’m also starting to explore beading on canvas and creating sculptured pieces. 

       Naan: Is there any one person (artists, friends, family etc) that has been a big source of inspiration for you specifically in relation to this field? 

       Regina: I get my inspiration mostly from the things around me. Likewise, there is such a vibrant close-knit beading community out there that provide inspiration in raising the bar in this unique art form. 

       Naan:  What is your ultimate aspiration in this field? 

       Regina: I’m still searching for this. 

       Naan: Have you ever participated in any major projects or contests before? 

       Regina: In the beginning of my beading, I did participate in a couple of challenges and came out with the top awards. There was no monetary compensation or anything from it, but I got full satisfaction that a group of my peers gave validation to my work. 

      Naan:  Have you ever received grants and awards before, for your work in this media? 

      Regina: No

      Naan:  Do you think grants and awards are important in this media? 

      Regina: It would help for those in need of the financial boost to start their own business. I’m all for independent artists being able to jump start their business! 

      Naan: Is this media your primary vocation, your second job or simply a hobby? 

     Regina: Because I still have a 9-5 job that pays the bills and can’t devote 24/7 to beading, I still consider this to be a hobby.

     Naan: If you do sell your work, where can an interested client find your work to buy? And if you don’t sell your work, will you be interested in showing your creation anyway? (share links to sites, blogs, shops etc where you work can be purchased or viewed, or if you are comfortable enough, share contact details of how you can be reached for a client interested in making a purchase). 

      Regina: I sell my work primarily through my etsy store - https://www.etsy.com/shop/beadjewelryshopgirl 

      Naan: Why did you agree to participate in the FOE 13 project? 

      Regina: I hadn’t done a collaboration piece for a while so it was a good opportunity. In addition, I was getting out of my sabbatical to start beading again and what better way to stretch my beading muscles and get out of my comfort zone and work on a challenge piece! 

      Naan: Tell us more about yourself – anything at all that you are comfortable sharing. We all want to know our favourite artists as intimately as they would let us know them and you are no exception. 

      Regina: A quote from one of my favorite painters, Vincent Van Gogh is “Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” It reflects so much of why I do what I do.

    It was a delight to learn more about Regina, but I am sure you all will agree that the delight is complete with a show of her work, find them below.

Free form Bracelet By ©Regina Jiron


Peyote Bracelet By ©Regina Jiron


'Bling' Bracelet By ©Regina Jiron


    I find Regina's work very neatly executed. The choice of colours are inviting and the design a delight. I wish I know the stories behind the inspiration for the these creations. But not knowing gives us the perfect excuse to stop by her shop to see more of her work or simply to drop her a note with your questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment